Who We Are
Cross Encounters is a new NFP performing arts company and a charity that is dedicated to creating innovative intercultural theatrical and artistic productions. The activities are implemented by a small but passionate group under the guidance of the board of directors, which is a mixture of professionals from inside and outside the performing arts.
The company is the first independent non-profit performing arts organisation in Melbourne that has a particularly focus on the exchange and communication between Chinese and Australian theatre, and the first arts organisation in Australia which produces Chinese-Australian cross-cultural physical theatre works.
What we do
- Producing cross-cultural performing arts works that investigate the possibilities of innovation, deep collaboration and exchange between culturally diverse artists, as well as creating Australian-Asian theatrical experiences that blends together different theatre forms, stories and technologies.
- Undertaking workshops, seminars and other forms of programs on intercultural development of the performing art academy and industry in Asia and Australia, as well as facilitating mutual conversation, partnerships and networking using multiple theatre forms across different cultures and continents.
- Organising cross-cultural artistic, live performance and theatrical activities, promoting and facilitating the connection of culturally diverse artistic, cultural, educational and government organisations to deliver intercultural artistic, performing arts and theatrical activities.
- Providing a platform for academic communication and industry professionals to exchange discourse, helping build connections between academic institutions, industry organisations, individual artists and arts practitioners to engage in intercultural artistic collaborative projects, discussions, investigations and events.
- Supporting emerging artists from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to get involved in the Australian performing arts industry through providing opportunities in cross-cultural theatrical productions as well as mentorship and development opportunities.
- Delivering information, advisory and consultation services to the individuals, societies, associations and corporations in relation to the matters connected with the cross-cultural performing arts industry.
Arts Manager: Olivia Wang
Resident director: Noah Zhao Wang
Stage manager&production design: Zena Wang
Marketing&Communications Coordinator: Tia Han
Fundrasier: William White
Designer&Technical Support: Genevieve Byrne
All of our key staff have long-standing professional backgrounds from the performing arts industry, and have different personal styles and passions for artistic and cultural development. With a vision for cross-cultural performing arts to flourish, we are opening up new directions of artistic exploration to create unique and meaningful cultural interactions. We are excited to see all the sparks that come out the creation process.
With the growing recognition in the industry, our company has been recognised as an emerging leading brand in creating ground breaking cross-cultural arts productions. Our work has gained credit for its unique intercultural benefits. So far our awards include:
●2022 Nominated for Art Music Awards APRA AMCOS | AMC
Work of the Year: Dramatic – John O’Beirne and Vicky Deng – Phoenix Music Suite– NIRVANA
●The recipient of Victorian Multicultural Award for Excellence in Arts 2021
Achievements in promoting, supporting and preserving cultural expression through the arts, as well as building social cohesion and the fostering of intercultural understanding by creating opportunities for collaboration and performance. – Cross Encounters
●2021 Nominated for Melbourne Asia Game Changer Awards
Achievements in making a positive difference to Australia’s relationship with Asia – Olivia Wang
●2021 Nominated for Creative Partnerships Awards
Arts Leadership Award – Olivia Wang
●2021 Nominated for Art Music Awards APRA AMCOS | AMC
Work of the Year: Dramatic – John O’beirne – Melancholy Fisherwoman – A Stone’s Throw
●2020 Nominated for Victorian Multicultural Awards for Excellence in the Arts
Achievements in developing and implementing arts programs that aim to improve intercultural understanding and social cohesion through participation and performance – Cross Encounters